Friday, July 17, 2009

Moxie: One year later

Last year at this time, I had just sold a boat load of books about Moxie. I spent the day at the Moxie Festival, signing and selling books, my one opportunity to get a sense of what it might be like to be a famous author.
One year later, things are more low-key. I’m working on essays that will one day be part of a book of essays about the state of Maine. These are longer works (4,000 to 6,000 words) and some will read more like an investigative news feature than pure essay. I also have an essay on the late Maine writer (and longtime Christian Science Monitor columnist) John Gould in search of a home.

As much as Moxie has been part of my recent history (in addition to the book, I provided PR and marketing for the festival committee in the past), I didn’t make it across the river this year for any of the festivities. We had a wedding on Saturday, and on Sunday, we had family over because our son and girlfriend were in for the w/e from LA.

BTW, Moxietown is sold out. I have plans to reprint next spring, with some newer material, some of which didn’t make it into last year’s printing. I also hope that the book of essays is ready, which would be my third book.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember meeting John Gould back in the 70's. It was an evening high school field trip to the real Portland Public Libary - the one with style, not the current concrete bunker. Being from Freeport, I read much of John Gould's writings. Also, he knew my grandfather.

I look forward to your reading your Gould essay.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home